Design Principles - Week 2 Entry

10/01/2022 - 16/01/2022 (Week 2)
WONG JUN ZHE / 0353613
Design Principles / B'Creative Media / Taylor's University

Task 1 - Week 2 Recap


LECTURE

Design from Music

During lecture class this week, Dr. Charles carried out an activity where students are required to come up with designs while listening to music. We were supposed to listen to the music, not only with our ears but also with our minds and hearts. We should only using simple elements such as shapes, lines and dots. In my opinion, this shows the purest and rawest aspect of design. 

The first song is titled "Dream Dust" by Juno Dreams. While listening to this song, I have a picture of myself at the beach looking at the waves of the ocean, feeling the gentle waves hit on my waves as I breathe in fresh air into my lungs. However, this image I have in mind is too "smooth" and "gentle", as the music has continuous bass and drum sounds in it. So, I drew tiny boxes which line up into a shape of a wave, so that the design looks more harmonic. 

Here is my design of "Dream Dust": 



The second song is titled "Future Horizon" by Juno Dreams. Immediately when the music starts, I feel colours exploding in all direction. At the beginning of this music, it sounds very gentle and pleasant, which is the reason why I drew ripple-like shapes at the bottom part of the design. as the music goes on, it becomes more and more chaotic, but in a good way. It still has rhythm in it, that's why the design is created with some sort of pattern, and not just random shapes and lines. 

Here is my design of "Future Horizon": 




PRACTICAL

Principle of design 1: Emphasis

Here, I tried to come up with several different composition sketches as well as some poses exploration. 




Here are the 2 final compositions I have decided on. Initially, I didn't know which one I like more. However, after Dr. Charles's feedback and comments, We have agreed that the first composition is the superior one. 



Then I proceeded to draw the final sketch on an A3 paper, scanned and inserted it to Affinity Photo for digital colouring. 


I did a layer of rough linework digitally. 


Then, I started adding in colours. 





Principle of design 2: Contrast

Reference photo:


For this design, I have decided to draw the face of a woman only using 2 colours -- black and white. I decided to switch things up a little by using a "white pen on black paper" instead of the ordinary "black pen on white paper" method for this one. Initially, I used a white coloured pencil and filled in the lighter parts (midtone, lights, and highlights) with white. However, both Dr. Charles and I felt like the whites are not strong and bright enough. So, I painted on a layer of white acrylic paint on top of it. 


Lecturer's feedback: 

Emphasis: 
Dr. Charles commented that the first composition is more interesting than the second. 

In the first frame, The wolf plays the most significant role in this frame compared to the others. The wolf is very well emphasized. 

In the second frame, the character plays the main role and the wolf plays the secondary role. 

The lines of the wolf and the character are parallel to each other, creating a sense of movement. 

However, it would be even better if I could enhance the silhouette of the character, trying to merge the wolf and the character. 

Think about the quality of linework. Jagged? Smooth? Fluidity?

The key to a really good design is the quality of linework. 

Background should not be overdone. 

Do more exploration and experiments. 

Contrast: 
Contrast is shown here with the use of figure and ground. 

However, think of a way to brighten and strengthen the intensity of the white parts. 

References

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography Task 3A - Type Design & Communication (Typeface Design)

Design Research Methodology Assignments 1 - 4

Illustration & Visual Narrative Task 1 - Exercises